Wednesday, December 31, 2008

One accomplishment


At this time of the year I tend to look back and sigh over the things that I wanted to do and didn't. I have done the same this year. Then I thought about some of the things that I didn't plan to do that turned out well and this one topped the list.

I found this Thoroughbred mare in a bad situation. She had been handed around since leaving the track many years ago and over and over again someone had tried to force a square peg into a round hole. Most people, accustomed to relatively tolerant stock horses, are quickly over their heads and somewhat horrified at the energy level and sensitivity of a Thoroughbred. This one was living in a small group of horses, unhappy, skinny enough to be at risk of starving, beaten to a pulp by the other horses, covered with bites and kicks and a couple of infected wounds. She had intimidated and baffled her current owner who was at her wits end with what to do with the horse but at least was responsible enough to not just hand her off to another unprepared owner. The mare was suspicious, spooky, overly reactive, also lethargic, skinny and unhealthy.
6 months later she is fat, happy, sassy, ground manners renewed and on her way to a new career with someone who is experienced with off track horses.

I need to remember that this year....I did this.
What we do is more important that what we don't do.

No comments:

Post a Comment